Monday, December 17, 2007

Don't Use Your Phone As a Modem!

I made this mistake a few weeks back when I went travelling and was using my phone as a modem for my laptop. Not as expensive as this, but it was indeed a mistake that I didn't enjoy:

A Canadian oil-field worker, stunned to get a C$85,000 ($83,700) cell phone bill, has had the charges reduced to C$3,400, but is still fighting them.

Piotr Staniaszek, a 22-year-old oil and gas well tester in rural northwest Alberta, became a figure of international media attention this week when his father went to the press to complain about the size of his son's bill.

Staniaszek's father, also named Piotr Staniaszek, said his son thought he could use his new phone as a modem for his computer as part of his C$10 unlimited browser plan from Bell Mobility, a division of Bell Canada.

OK, my error lasted two days and only cost me $400 or so but take this as a lesson. They really don't like you using your phone as a modem and they will charge you a fortune for data downloaded over it.

If that's what you're actualy going to do, you'rebetter of making sureyou get one of the special deals which includes unlimited data. They do exist (T-Mobile has one I think).

No comments: