Friday, February 03, 2006

Offensive Spirit - An Encore

Here's the deal. It's very simple.

I say something which you find offensive. I have the freedom to do this.

In turn, you have the freedom to criticise me for being offensive.
There are two possibilties. Either I am right about what I say, but just put it rather tactlessly, or I am wrong (or just gratuitously offensive. This obviously counts as "wrong").

If I am wrong, and you kick up a stink and demonstrate WHY I am wrong, not only do I look stupid, but the rest of the world will see that I am an offensive bigot.

If I am right, and you kick up a stink, the rest of the world will think that you are denying an unpleasant truth about yourself and that you aren't really being very honest, regardless of how tactless I may have been.

If you choose to hit me instead, it is pretty clear to everyone that you have no manners and no counter-argument. I win by default. The world will believe me, not you.

Now, into which category would you put these protestors?



EXTERMINATE THOSE WHO SLANDER ISLAM
As ninme put it so delightfully in an earlier (unrelated - I just loved the quote) post:
Hey Guys: way to play to your stereotype.
Anyone still have any doubts that we need to publish these cartoons?

No comments: